Packaging, Labeling & Product Design
All of these Pax Era pods have the same design: a small, minimal, white cardboard box with a stylish canister within. While I like NATIV’s simple, stylish and muted branding, it doesn’t really stand out from the other Pax Era pods on dispensary shelves. I think they should use a Bedazzler™ on their design! That’ll do it. One noticeable distinction is a little chart with the sun and moon indicating this OG strain is more suitable for evening use. I also like how the see-through window lets you view the discrete pod and oil before buying. After opening, the child-safe twist top appears to keep it safe. Still, I’d like to see a seal ensuring it hasn’t been tampered with.
The labeling lets me know the this NATIV OG Rosin has 68.28% active cannabinoids, 0.69% CBD+CBDa, and 0.64% terpenes. Naturally, I’m curious to learn what the other 30.39% consists of. There’s also no mention of THC:CBD ratio. NATIV states this pod passed microbiological, pesticide and residual solvent tests, yet there’s no mention of the testing company and no results. (After googling, I found it was SC Labs.)
Clearly there’s room to improve the information I need to make a fully informed buying decision. I understand there’s limited space to say everything, but as a consumer I definitely want to know this missing info. This is no time for secrecy, people!
Quality, Ease of Use
NATIV prides itself on its low heating technology, designed to maximize the terpenes found in freshly harvested bud. The company uses a proprietary ice water sieving technique, and it is a big deal to produce rosin through solvent-less techniques. This PAX OG oil sits in food grade plastic with dual wicks and airflow, not to mention it’s leak resistant. Just remember: like all Pax Era pods, you need the Pax Era battery to use, which is incredibly easy to operate; just plug in and play!
Worried about overheating and coughing? Make the vapor quality whatever you want it to be! Control precise heat settings with the PAX app to ensure a comfortable hit every time. NATIV recommends enjoying this oil at 600°F or less, making for really smooth vapor, but you can enjoy it however you like–even if it’s by a single degree! If only I could control summer temperatures the same way.
Potency, Effectiveness & Affordability
The oil is clear and bright yellow with a slight copper hue, though a little thinner than I hoped, signifying the possibility of cutting agents. That mysterious 30.39% cannabinoids might explain it. Still, NATIV does produce consistently high-quality concentrates. Because it’s packaged in a Pax compatible pod, the OG Rosin will always provide the exact same pleasure.
As the label indicates, this pod is only 0.64% terpenes, so the flavor is extremely subtle. It was tough trying to examine the taste, but concluded it was earthy with a slight hint of iron. I’d prefer bacon over metal, but ya can’t win ‘em all.
Because of the precise and adjustable temp, the effects are as potent as you need them to be! I took a couple of small hits on low and initially didn’t feel anything. Then I turned up the heat, got a huge hit and was instantly baked as a potato. Vapes don’t usually hit me like that, so it was a pleasant surprise! Some OGs can get my anxiety going, but not this one–it gave me a nice, clean full-bodied indica effect. I’d highly recommend this for sleeping or end-of-the-day unwinding. It’s an excellent pain reliever, too, and great for battling insomnia.
Despite its potency, sleek design and adjustable temperature, about $75 for a half-gram of Pax pod oil and $30 for the battery, if you don’t already have it, adds up.
Nugg Score: How the Nugg Team Rates This Product
- Small minimalistic white cardboard box with a sleek looking canister.
- Hard plastic window to you can see the pod.
- Simple branding; doesn’t stand out from other Pax pods on the shelves.
- Includes a card that tells me about this Rosin Pod and a front graphic recommending nighttime use.
- Indicates active cannabinoids and terpene percentages on the back of the box.
- States this pod has passed tests, but there’s no way to verify this.
- I would have liked to see the full cannabinoid profile and major terpenes.
Cartridge Quality: 4.5/5
- The proprietary PAX Era Pod.
- Oil is housed in food-grade plastic with a dual-wick and dual-airflow; leak resistant.
- This sturdy, non 510-threaded pod is in a league of its own.
- Only 0.64% terpenes, so the flavor is extremely subtle.
- Earthy taste overall, but with slight iron undertones.
Vapor Quality: 5/5
- Users can create their own vapor quality!
- Ability to customize the heat settings on your PAX Era through the PAX app, from a large hit that may make you cough to a modest hit that’s incredibly smooth.
- NATIV recommends enjoying this Pax oil at 600°F or less.
Oil Quality: 3.5/5
- Oil is clear and bright yellow with a slight copper hue.
- A bit thinner than you might hope for, signifying a possible cutting agent.
- Options for varying the heat.
- A nice, clean, full-bodied indica effect, giving me the relaxation I was striving for.
Ease of Use: 3.5/5
- Small and discreet.
- Need to own the PAX Era battery to use it.
- PAX Era technology allows you to adjust your dosing.
- If you own the battery, simply plug it in and use.
- NATIV consistently provides quality concentrates.
- Ability to customize ensures the perfect hit each time.
- Provides the exact same pleasure and relief.
- Over $70 for the half-gram of oil and $30 for the battery; way too rich for my blood.
- If we’re just considering the price of the half-gram pod, it’s still a bit steep.
Overall Rating: 3.85
Big stars for a fully customizable experience drawing on the strength of the PAX product line, and easy sense of relief NATIV’s Rosin OG formulation provides. We wish it were a lot cheaper, and we also wish we had more information about what exactly the formula’s chemical breakdown is. The taste is super subtle, which likely has to do with low terpene content. Yes, the oil was effective, but when you consider the average price of quality cartridges on the market, this is hard to rationalize for most budgets.