How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card in Oklahoma: FAQs

Nugg Team | August 9, 2019 | Leave a Comment

Here, you’ll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about Oklahoma’s medical marijuana program. If you’d like to learn more about how to get a medical marijuana card in Oklahoma, hop on over to NuggMD and chat with their friendly staff. They’re always happy to help.

These rules and regulations are changing frequently, so this information is subject to change. The OMMA’s website provides a list of running updates.

Legal Disclaimer: This article is provided for informational purposes only. Although every reasonable effort is made to present current and accurate information, NuggMD and all authors make no guarantees of any kind and cannot be held responsible or liable for any outdated or incorrect information. The information contained herein is not provided in the course of and does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship, is not intended to convey or constitute legal or regulatory advice, an interpretation of law, an advisory opinion or rulemaking of any kind, and is neither a substitute for nor does it release you from your responsibility to review applicable law and, if necessary, obtain legal advice from a qualified attorney.

What documents do I need to fill out my Oklahoma medical marijuana card application?

To apply for a medical marijuana card, you’ll need:

1) Proof that you’re an Oklahoma resident, which can be one of the following:

  • Oklahoma driver’s license or ID
  • Oklahoma voter ID card
  • A utility bill from the month just before your application (cell phone and internet bills excluded)
  • A deed to residential property that you own in Oklahoma
  • A current residential rental agreement in Oklahoma (your name must be on the agreement)

2) Proof of your identity, which can be one of the following:

  • Oklahoma driver’s license or ID
  • Oklahoma identification card (front and back)
  • U.S. passport or other photo ID that’s been issued by the U.S. government
  • Tribal ID that’s approved by Oklahoma for identification purposes, including US Bureau of Indian Affairs ID or Oklahoma tribal photo IDs.

3) A clear digital, full color picture of your full face on a white or off-white background
4) Your Patient Physician Recommendation form that has been signed within 30 days of your application submission
5) Proof of SoonerCare or MediCare enrollment or 100% disabled veteran status if you’re applying for the discounted application fee of $20.

How long does it take to receive a state medical card?

It can take up to 14 days for your application to be approved after completing your online application. You should check your email frequently during this time as the OMMA may need additional documentation to complete the process. If you do not provide any missing information within the time limit, your application would be denied and you’d have to begin the process again. There is no refund for the application fee.

How long does a rec or state ID card last?

Your state ID will last for two years unless it is revoked by the OMMA sooner.

How much does a state card cost?

The application fee is $100. SoonerCare and MediCare patients and 100% disabled vets can apply for a discounted fee of only $20.

Is there a discount for purchasing medical marijuana in Oklahoma?

Unfortunately, no. Most states that offer recreational cannabis do have a tax discount, or no taxes, for medical marijuana purchases. Oklahoma is a medical marijuana only state though, and the state taxes all sales at the rate of 7%

Am I required to register with the state to become a medical marijuana patient?

Yes. You must first register with, and receive approval and a license from the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority before using cannabis for medical purposes: “Patient”or”Qualified patient”means a person that has been properly issued a medical marijuana license pursuant to Title 63 O.S. § 420 et seq. and these rules. (Emergency Rules page 4)

Can employers still fire me for testing positive for cannabis on drug tests?

According to HB2612 page 23, your employer can’t fire you solely for your status as a medical marijuana patient unless:

  • they are required to by federal law in order to obtain federal funding,
  • the employee doesn’t have a valid medical marijuana license,
  • they consume medical marijuana while at work, or
  • the position involves a “safety sensitive” job.

The OMMA defines a safety sensitive job as “any job that includes tasks or duties that the employer reasonably believes could affect the safety and health of the employee performing the task or others including, but not limited to, any of the following:”

  1. the handling, packaging, processing, storage, disposal or transport of hazardous materials,
  2. the operation of a motor vehicle, other vehicle, equipment, machinery or power tools,
  3. repairing, maintaining or monitoring the performance or operation of any equipment, machinery or manufacturing process, the malfunction or disruption of which could result in injury or property damage,
  4. performing firefighting duties,
  5. the operation, maintenance or oversight of critical services and infrastructure including, but not limited to, electric, gas, and water utilities, power generation or distribution,
  6. the extraction, compression, processing, manufacturing, handling, packaging, storage, disposal, treatment or transport of potentially volatile, flammable, combustible materials, elements, chemicals or any other highly regulated component,
  7. dispensing pharmaceuticals,
  8. carrying a firearm, or
  9. direct patient care or direct child care

(H.B. 2612 page 24, section K)

Does the state provide electronic cards immediately with applications?

Unfortunately no. Your state application can be submitted online, but the state then has up to 14 days to review your application. If your application is missing any pertinent information, the state will email you requesting the corrections, which you can also submit online. Those who fail to complete all requirements of their application will receive a rejection letter after 14 days explaining why their application was denied.

Can I use medical marijuana in public?

Not only can you not smoke cannabis in public, but you can’t vaporize it either. All smoking and vaporizing is subject to the same restrictions as cigarette smoking.

(OMMA Regulations Sec. 310:681-2-11)

What are the daily purchase limits for medical marijuana?

Patients can purchase up to three (3) ounces of marijuana, one (1) ounce of marijuana concentrate, seventy-two (72) ounces of edible medical marijuana products, six (6) mature plants, and/or six (6) seedling plants. The Unity Bill clarifies that these possession rights are cumulative and that a patient or caregiver can possess all of these items so long as they hold a valid license.

The OMMA and the Patient Protection Act made it clear that these limits are cumulative, and that patients and caregivers can possess all of the amounts listed: “The rights to possess the marijuana products set forth in Section 420 of Title 63 of the Oklahoma Statutes are cumulative and a duly licensed individual may possess at any one time the totality of the items listed therein and not be in violation of this act so long as the individual holds a valid patient license or caregiver license.”

(HB 2612 Sec. 8(A))

How many plants can a patient grow?

A patient may possess up to six mature plants and/or six seedling plants.

Does Oklahoma give reciprocity to out of state recommendations?

The state doesn’t allow purchases or possession with out of state licenses, but they do allow visitors to get a temporary license for up to 30 days. The cost of the temporary license is $100, and must be renewed if the patient is visiting for longer than 30 days. There are no discounts for out-of-state MediCaid or Medicare patients. You will need to do plenty of advance planning before traveling to Oklahoma because it can take the department up to 14 days to process a temporary license application. You can find out more here.

Can I use cannabis while on parole?

Oklahoma’s state law doesn’t prevent medical marijuana patients from using cannabis while on parole, but the district attorney in your county may still prevent it. The only way to know if you’re safe to use cannabis while on parole is to ask your parole officer what your county’s rules are.

Does Oklahoma law provide parental protections to MMJ patients?

The state recently passed SB 811, which will be in effect on Sep. 20, 2018. Sec. 425 says:

  1. No medical marijuana license holder may be denied custody of or visitation or parenting time with a minor, and there is no presumption of neglect or child endangerment for conduct allowed under this law, unless the person’s behavior creates an unreasonable danger to the safety of the minor.

Is my medical registration and information protected?

Both your patient records and all inventory tracking records containing your patient information must comply with federal and state laws, including HIPAA, and inventory tracking records can’t be retained for more than 60 days. You can read the full text of protections provided under HB 2612 here in Sec. 7.

What is the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana and Patient Protection Act?

HB 2612, which is named The Oklahoma Medical Marijuana and Patient Protection Act is also colloquially known as the Unity Bill, and it both clarifies some ambiguous areas of SQ 788 (the MMJ legalization bill) and makes changes that were necessary to conform with other laws. For instance, employers are still prevented from firing or refusing to hire medical marijuana patients, but there’s an exception now for so called ‘safety sensitive jobs.’ The bill can be read in full here:

About Nugg Team

Nugg is the "GrubHub for marijuana." Our site lets medical marijuana patients order online from dispensaries that deliver to them. Signup with the code BLOG20 for a $20 credit on your first order!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *